Veils of Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Veils of Dawn forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Symphonic/Power Metal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Emily
Admin
Emily

Female
Number of posts : 588
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Symphonic/Power Metal Empty
PostSubject: Symphonic/Power Metal   Symphonic/Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 4:32 am

Discuss the genre itself here, and bands that wouldn't carry much discussion in their own topic. Create topics for bands in this subgenre but please read the rules first.

Last edited by Emily on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/veilsofdawn
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male
Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Symphonic/Power Metal   Symphonic/Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:47 am

I have this thing with power metal: It's often cheesy.

It's listenable, some bands are nice, Sonata Arctica, for example, but it gets boring very fast.

I think symphonic metal offers much more, be it lyrically or musically.
Back to top Go down
Emily
Admin
Emily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Symphonic/Power Metal   Symphonic/Power Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:17 am

I like symphonic metal. Epica, Nightwish and Within Temptation were my favourite symphonic bands. Now it's Pythia. :P
Back to top Go down
melian
Admin
melian

Male
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Symphonic/Power Metal   Symphonic/Power Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:34 am

MEH @ you John.

Symphonic metal is often the same shit over and over again, haven't see much bands who did something new lately. But, I have to admit, it's the same with power metal, but bands like Kamelot, Sonata Arctica (especially SA), and Battleroar are in my opinion not boring. Then again, the lyrics of symphonic metal are better than the normal power metal bands. Just listen to freaking Dragonforce and you'll know what I mean.

I like the lyrics from both Epica and After Forever though, as well as their music. But Epica is way too predictable, and After Forever is getting cheesy. Sad
Never really liked the other symphonic stuff, since nothing really stands out for me, except for the new album of Edenbridge, on MyEarthDream they managed to get an orchestra. Along with that, the music has definitely improved. Very Happy

But I guess it's the same with power metal, I'm not really into that stuff either. I think power metal is much more technical than symphonic though.

Can we also discuss metal opera's here, by the way?

If yes. Aina! Avantasia!

\o/
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male
Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Symphonic/Power Metal   Symphonic/Power Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 4:09 am

Kamelot and Sonata Arctica are nice, but I don't get the whole fuss over them. I like to listen to a song or two, sometimes, but overall, it gets boring, and I'd be REALLY bored if I had to listen to those bands everyday.

I used to like Epica but I'm over them now. I will welcome a future album though, if it's the same atmosphere. I will agree that The Divine Conspiracy was one of the albums of the year.

After Forever are teh pwm. Although now, they are heading down a dangerous road. And I hope the "pause" isn't permanent.

I like some Epica lyrics, but overall, Floor lyrics > Mark lyrics.

As for the other bands, meh. Unless you consider Therion symphonic/operatic metal, in which case: SYMPHO METAL \o/
Back to top Go down
Emily
Admin
Emily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Symphonic/Power Metal   Symphonic/Power Metal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:56 am

Kamelot are good, I'd go to see them but I wouldn't put them on my 'favourite bands ever' list. Sonata Arctica are okay, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them.

The novelty of Epica has gone now... I mean, they're a good band but the way they use image nowadays puts me off. Just cause you have a hot singer, doesn't mean she's the only thing that matters. People seem to forget that.

After Forever were a very good band. Now they still are, but nowadays their songs are cheesy more often than not. Sometimes I think Epica lyrics > AF lyrics, because Floor writes a load of crap at times :P I think especially with symphonic metal, the lyric writers think that if you add a bunch of big words no one knows the meaning to, it's epic. WRONG! 'Evanescent as it fades' is one of the most obvious lines EVER. Evanescent = fading, so fading as it fades? Not smart, Flora.

Power metal can be cheesy. I may sound biased because they are my favourite band now, but Pythia aren't cheesy. Their lyrics are simple, but have strong themes to them (politics, obsession...), and they're not trying to be epic by using big words. I have to admit though, on stage it can be a little cheesy with the band jumping around the stage like lunatics and Emily Alice throwing wine at everyone :P But that's what makes them so fun and interesting. They're willing to improvise and actually have fun. That's also what annoys me with Epica - they're so technical that they can't improvise, which makes them quite... robotic. AF are different - if you've ever seen their performance of Follow in the Cry at Pinkpop 2004, you'll see what I mean :P
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Symphonic/Power Metal   Symphonic/Power Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Symphonic/Power Metal
Page 1 of 1