Veils of Dawn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the official Veils of Dawn forum

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Folk/Viking Metal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Princess_of_Darkness
Peasant
Peasant
Princess_of_Darkness

Female
Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2008-05-18

Folk/Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Folk/Viking Metal   Folk/Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:30 am

Folk metal is another subgenre of metal, developed in the allmighty 90s it got name and is mostly known for being a "fusion of heavy metal and folk music". The instruments in folk metal are mostly the instruments that are a must-have to every metal band and folk instruments. In some cases, the folk instruments are being replaced by keyboards. English band Skyclad known as the earliest folk metal band, since after them, only in 1994/1995 metal bands started appearing. Those other metal bands include Subway to Sally, Orphaned Land and Cruachan. Since 2000s, the folk metal scene spread around the Europe, mostly in Finland where Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Fintroll and many more rule the folk metal scene. Lyrics in the genre commonly deal with paganism, nature, fantasy, mythology and history.

List of folk metal bands

About Viking Metal

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male
Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Folk/Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking Metal   Folk/Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 6:32 am

Finntroll played here last night.

I like folk metal, although it's a dangerous territory, because it gets cheesy easily :P

Elvenking ftw cheers
Back to top Go down
melian
Admin
melian

Male
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Folk/Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking Metal   Folk/Viking Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 3:14 am

Some folk/pagan metal may sound cheesy, try listening to Equilibrium, but it can be incredibly technical, again, try listening to Equilibrium. I would definitely recommend it.

Oh, I like Ensiferum and Finntroll too. It's really sad the main songwriter of Finntroll died. Beautiful death though, completely drunk and falling off a bridge, and breaking your neck on the ice. O well. :P

Another band I would recommend is Eluveitie, I love those bands who actually use folk instruments. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male

Folk/Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking Metal   Folk/Viking Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 am

I "like" Eluveitie but it gets a bit cheesy sometimes.

edit: Blackmore's Night, although not metal, had some nice songs.

Can we fit Haggard here too?
Back to top Go down
melian
Admin
melian

Male
Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Folk/Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking Metal   Folk/Viking Metal Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 9:16 am

In Eluveitie's case I don't really care about the cheesy-ness though. I think you mean songs like Inis Mona? I think both lyrically and musically they're quite interesting.

Heh, Blackmore's Night is indeed good. I've got their 'Village Lanterne', and listen to it quite often. Very Happy

What I've heard about Haggard is that they're symphonic death metal or something.. But really, I was just listening some song of them.. They're not folk-like, I don't really have an idea what they're actually. They just rock.
Back to top Go down
Kharhaz
Warrior poet
Kharhaz

Male

Folk/Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking Metal   Folk/Viking Metal Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 3:14 am

I did mean Inis Mona :P I like of Fire, Widsom & Wind, or something.

Blackmore's Night are nice, although I think the first works were teh pwn. And I don't think have just ONE good album, because in every album, 50% of songs are great and the other 50% are bad :P

Haggard aren't really death, just the vocals are harsh, but musically, they're very accessible. They are metal-ish. As for folk.. I think they're more of renaiscence/neo-classical.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Folk/Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Folk/Viking Metal   Folk/Viking Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Folk/Viking Metal
Page 1 of 1